Multnomah Democrats Racial Inclusivity Work Group
& Membership Info
What is the MultDems’ “Racial Inclusivity Work Group”?
The RIWG, as we call it, is a committee formed with the sole purpose of increasing and
sustaining the Party’s racial diversity in ways that welcome, include, and support people
of color in membership and leadership.
This group is charged with addressing the following item in Article VII-Equality in the 2018 Multnomah County Democrats Platform:
We call for a plan within the Democratic Party of Multnomah County and within
the Democratic Party of Oregon for active recruitment of people of color in
membership and leadership.
Expected Outcomes Include:
1. As an organization, MultDems will develop common knowledge, practices, and
norms necessary to operate in ways that are culturally competent, racially inclusive, and continuously reflective of equitable policies & practices.
2. Organized recruitment and retention efforts will increase the number of people of color in the MultDems’ membership and leadership.
3. MultDems will develop a replicable model for racial inclusion that will be
disseminated statewide and potentially serve as a model for Democrats nationwide.
Who can be a member of this work group?
- Composition of the Racial Inclusivity Work Group will intentionally have a majority of
members from currently under-represented communities such as African-Americans,
Latinx, Asians, and Indigenous people.
- We seek 12-18 people who have a deep level of understanding around equity and
inclusion as it applies to race.
- Committee makeup will attempt to balance diversity of gender, age, and years of
experience in MultDems.
What will be expected of work group members?
- Average of one meeting per month (approximately 2 hours)*
- Preparatory reading
- Commitment to work in a diverse work group led by people of color, on issues of
racial equity and inclusivity, within the Multnomah County Democrats.
Greg Burrill, Rosa Colquitt, Colleen Davis, GM García, Debbie Gordon,
Sally Joughin, Beth Woodward
*Sub-committees and community events offer additional opportunities for involvement.