The role of Media in American politics is to provide accurate and relevant information that the public needs to perform its function of governance in a democracy. Where applicable, the following planks would apply to print, broadcast, and social media using public networks.
- We support legislation to promote independent media, free from corporate or government interference.
- We support mechanisms to address hate speech and factual inaccuracies.
- .We believe statements in political campaigns and legislative sessions must be factually based.
- We support an independent federally funded investigative watchdog agency to monitor and report on social media interactions for potential criminality.
LEGISLATIVE ACTION ITEMS
- We support diversity in media ownership, and the prevention or breakup of media monopolies and dominant conglomerates, whether those span different media markets or span different media within a market.
- We support the creation of a non-partisan state office charged with responding to requests for fact-checking, including statements made during political campaigns or in legislative session. This office would also call out the use of misleading statements and terminology. Challenges will need to be addressed to assure multi-party oversight, protection from political interference, and the inclusion of dissenting research. University participation and stable nongovernmental financing will be encouraged.
- We support research and legislation to identify hate speech and procedures for countering it.
- We support re-adopting the principles outlined in the Fairness Doctrine that requires the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that is honest, equitable, and balanced.
- We support the full funding of Public Broadcasting stations and networks, possibly supplemented by small donations from the public, to eliminate the inhibition of investigative reporting of sponsoring entities. We support the development of ways to assure stable funding well-protected from political interference.
- We discourage the censorship of investigative reporting by sponsoring entities.
- We support the Society of Professional Journalists and Radio and Television Digital News Association Codes of Ethics and the Code of Practices for Television Broadcasters. We encourage the development of similar codes of ethics and regulations for all forms of media including social media and other forms of internet media.
- We support a comprehensive net neutral public utility to provide state of the art internet access to serve all end users.
- We support corporate responsibility with the management of our personal data. We demand internet media companies pay individuals for use of their personal data, and if there is a data breach to pay for all damages.