We believe all people have the inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Barriers to achieving these rights have prevented their achievement, especially by people who carry the burden of our Nation and our State’s racist history and our failure to mitigate that history. We realize that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence.
- We believe in the right to a useful and remunerative living wage job that provides for food, clothing, shelter, and rest.
- We believe in the right of every person, household, and house of worship to privacy as long as no laws are broken.
- We believe in the right to freedom to worship in so far as that freedom doesn’t infringe on the rights of others.
- We believe in the right of every person to rest, recreation, hygiene, sanitation, clean air, water, private shelter, and healthy food.
- We believe in the right to health care for every person.
- We believe in the right of every person to a quality public education.
- We believe in the right to live in a world at peace and that it is our nation’s responsibility to promote that peace.
- We believe in the right to access justice.
- We support reduction of the military budget, in order to be in line with the military threat to the U.S, to reaffirm our commitment to peaceful conflict resolution, and to be better able to address our social and environmental needs.
LEGISLATIVE ACTION ITEMS
- We recognize that there is a housing crisis in our local communities and across the state. We direct Multnomah County and the City of Portland to develop affordable housing for individuals and families with zero to moderate incomes.
- We direct Multnomah County and the City of Portland to claim the air rights over the freeways in the public domain and develop parks and low and moderate-income housing over parts of them as described in the Central City Plan adopted in 1989, retaining the revenue from development in the public domain.
- We support a ban on no-cause evictions.
- We direct Multnomah County and its constituent municipalities and Metro government to collaboratively and actively pursue the conversion of all utilities, including but not limited to water, sewer, waste, electric, gas, and internet access from private to public ownership and direction and ensure the full access and provision of these utilities to all residents.
- We support a vision of a community owned internet which is a public utility free from private control and financial barriers; as such we call for the adoption of Municipal Broadband.
- We strongly support women’s rights to reproductive freedom of choice including unfettered access to reproductive health care services regardless of their ability to pay. We oppose any legislation that would defund Planned Parenthood.
- We support the Older Americans Act and the services it provides.
- We support end-of-life freedom of choice.
- We support the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and enforcement of ADA compliance at all levels and in all communities.
- We call for full support and expanded funding of SNAP; the Veterans Administration; Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); Head start; and housing programs.
- We call on our state legislators to pursue universal publicly funded health care for the state of Oregon. We call for all members of Oregon’s Congressional Delegation to co-sponsor and actively work for the passage of expanded and improved Medicare. We support the continuation and expansion of Medicaid.
- We call for the adoption of legislation to audit addiction services.
- We advocate a diplomacy-first policy and believe military action should be limited to the least needed for defense of our nation, never for preemptive aggression.
- We direct our federal government to oppose unilateral US interference in the affairs of other nation states in a manner contrary to Americans’ democratic values or the basic needs of the residents of those respective states. Subsequently, we oppose regime change and foreign policy actions serving to destabilize other sovereign states and discourage sanctions with negative humanitarian impact.
- We support nuclear non-proliferation and a long-term policy to reduce and eliminate weapons of mass destruction throughout the world.
- We support full funding for Housing Authorities and Section 8 recipients.
- We support the development of a Renter Services Office in Multnomah County.
- We support housing standards for all new construction of permanent dwellings: Any permanent dwelling shall house a maximum of two (2) adults per 400 square feet.
- We call for a tax break for individual or family renters based on income requirements.
 Older Americans Act of 1965: https://legcounsel.house.gov/Comps/Older%20Americans%20Act%20Of%201965.pdf