We are so close to passage of the Clean Energy Jobs bill, but we need to continue to pressure our lawmakers to make the bill as strong as it can be! We are targeting the eight Democrats on the Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction.
We need your help to ensure a highly effective bill passes out of the Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction (JCCR) so that it can be voted on by the full Legislature.
Please send emails or messages to the following legislators on the Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction. Create individual messages addressed to each legislator. You can copy/paste all or part of the suggested language. Add your own language and personal experience.
Note that you are writing them as a citizen of Oregon. As members of the JCCR, they are charged with doing the right thing for all of Oregon.
Please do not use the CC email function as legislators dislike being copied along with multiple offices.
Senator Michael Dembrow, email Sen.MichaelDembrow@oregonlegislature.gov
Senator Kathleen Taylor, email email@example.com
Senator Jeff Golden, email Sen.JeffGolden@oregonlegislature.gov
Senator Lee Beyer, email Sen.LeeBeyer@oregonlegislature.gov
Representative Karin Power, email Rep.KarinPower@oregonlegislature.gov
Representative Ken Helm, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative Pam Marsh, email email@example.com
Representative John Lively, email Rep.JohnLively@oregonlegislature.gov
Encourage these legislators by noting that Oregon has the opportunity to once again be a national leader as it once was on environmental issues like the Beach Bill and Bottle Bill and that HB 2020 can serve as a model for other states. Let them know that this legislation has the potential to be a legacy they will be proud of many years from now.
Ask them to pass the strongest possible climate legislation that addresses three essential needs and ensures that that bill:
- Has a quickly declining cap and that we want that cap to lead to zero emissions in 2050,
- Makes polluters pay – all major polluters need to be under the cap – no exemptions, and
- Funds a just transition and ensures funds are targeted to those most impacted by climate change.
Urge these legislators to pass HB 2020 along with the 31 amendments. Let them know that you especially appreciate that HB 2020 now:
- Includes 40% allocation for impacted communities
- Keeps Covanta as a regulated entity,
- Keeps semiconductor F gases subject to the cap,
- Ensures that offsets must be real, permanent, quantifiable, verifiable, enforceable and additional,
- Has a specific allocation for the Just Transition Fund to help workers, and
- Retains the emergency clause so that the Oregon Climate Action Program will be in place immediately.
Ask them to not let this vital piece of legislation to be watered down and to resist the efforts of some of their colleagues to delay, mislead or confuse. Summarize by thanking them for their hard work and suggesting that passing this critical legislation by Earth Day would be a wonderful gift for Oregon and the planet.